Hi, I'm Shelah Layton, Functional Nutritional Therapist in Bucks County PA, and thanks for visiting me here!
“Anxiety and mood issues run in my family, so it is what it is. I’m just going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life.”
That was a thought that ran on repeat in my head, for years!
Most people know me in my community me as a Certified Organic Farmer, co-owner of Hershberger Heritage Farm. Those who know me personally would generally say that I am a calm and optimistic person, but in my mid-twenties I started changing into someone I didn’t recognize.
- I couldn’t fall asleep no matter how long I’d been in bed with racing thoughts.
- It took all my strength I could muster to rise in the morning
- I felt spacey and in a fog most of the time.
- Things I loved brought me no joy or comfort
- Worried incessantly
- I felt wired on the inside and exhausted at the same time, all of the time
- The thought of social interaction would give me crazy anxiety
- I became incredibly self-critical. I felt nothing I did was right
- I was reacting instead of responding to others
- I couldn’t stop eating
I tried all the potent natural remedies for sleeping and anxiety that I could find. Hoping that one will surely work at some point! Little did I know that I was coming at my symptoms all wrong with not ever truly addressing the root cause.
I went on struggling like this for many years all the while I was a mom to two boys, wife to a war Vet., and a new business owner, TALK ABOUT STRESS! Stress continued to compound my health. My hormones where out of wack, My stomach symptoms where all over the place, my energy was low and I constantly struggled with anxiety.
After A LOT of headache and trial and error, I came across something that would change my life forever.
I learned about the gut-brain connection. After researching digestive issues, I started experimenting with fermented foods, making everything from scratch and eating only whole foods that were local, organic(or what we raised here on our farm) and free of GMO’s!
I started a gut-healing protocol and was aw-struck by the results! I had more energy, was more myself and the anxiety was getting much better! But I hit a plateau and needed to go deeper with my healing. Feeling a sense of renewal I immersed myself into the study of nutrition and discovered that so much of what is marketed to us as “healthy” is wreaking havoc on not just our bodies but our MINDS.
I was ANGRY that I had spent so much time and energy on dieting and “remedies” instead of listening to my body.
After discovering this huge piece of the puzzle to my health I decided to pursue training in functional nutrition where I learned powerful tools how to help and support people who are seeking to feel better in their own skin.
Today I practice as a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Restorative Wellness Practitioner. I help others who suffer from low energy, low mood, anxiety and digestive issues such as. heartburn/GERD, bloating, constipation etc. to discover root cause to promote healing on a foundational level with whole-food nutrition so they can regain control of their lives.
It is NOT all in your head! A nutritional imbalance may be affecting your mood if you are…
- Anxious, restless and uneasy
- Unable to concentrate and have brain fog
- Feeling wired and tired at the same time
- Find it hard to fall asleep and stay that way
- Cannot get through your day without caffeine
- Suffering from digestive issues, gas, bloating and heartburn
- Constantly crave sugar, bread, and pasta
- Gaining weight that is difficult to lose
- Finding that traditional therapy and medications are not helping
The health of our bodies directly affects the health of our minds.
I have personally experienced the healing powers of balanced nutrition and have dedicated my career to helping others to thrive in their own journey to optimal health.
I would love to do the same for you.
Click below to find out how we can work together!
What it looks like to work with me at a glance, click below for more details
It’s All About The Foundations
- The Nutrient Assessment Questionnaire (NAQ)
- Thorough evaluation of diet and health history
- Food & mood journaling
- Functional Testing (based off off your needs)
- Targeted, short-term, supplementation
These are some of the tools I use that allow me to get to the root cause of your heartburn, chronic fatigue, bloated/gassy/constipated, anxiety, acne etc. We will work together to put an effective healing plan together for you that addresses any deficiencies and areas of needed support.
Here is what Prominent Leading Holistic Practitioners are saying...
Dr. Josh Axe
"The choices we make everyday - the food we eat the products we use, the stress levels in our lives, the pills we take - These are the difference between illness and health.” - Doctor of Natural Medicine
Dr. Nicole Rivera
"Let's face it, healthcare needs a face lift. That's why we are in this to make a difference” - Integrative Doctor
Dr. Jolene Brighten
"You can't out supplement a poor diet and lifestyle” - Naturopathic Physician